Happy New Year 2019! This year has already started with a challenge. The United States Government is shutdown. More than 800,000 government employees will have to live without a paycheck until the government shutdown ends.
A lot of Washington, D.C. area restaurants have done their part to help furloughed federal employees with the costs of daily living. I have compiled a list of restaurants who are offering meal specials during the shutdown. These specials require government ID.
Let’s start with Chef José Andrés, who vowed to feed government employees until they get paid again. Check out the details here as explained in this Food & Wine Article. Think Food Group, which includes Oyamel, Zaytinya, America Eats Tavern, China Chilcano, Beefsteak, Jaleo will offer free sandwiches for federal employees and their families from 2:00pm – 5:00pm at all Washington, D.C. restaurants.
Here are more free food offers.
- &Pizza – Multiple locations offer FREE PIZZA for federal employees from 6:00pm – 8:00pm for the duration of the shutdown.
- District Doughnuts – Free coffee with every purchase.
- Baked by Yael – Free coffee, cake pops, and bakery classes. Zoo workers get complimentary bagels and bites.
- Carmine’s – Free meatball sliders from 2:00pm – 4:00pm for government employees.
- Charlie Palmer Steakhouse – Free Chicken Sandwich with government ID.
- Olivia Macaron – Free cup of coffee with any purchase with government ID.
- Ri Ra Irish Pub – Free Shepherd’s pie during lunch or dinner during shutdown.
- Taco Bamba (Chinatown location) – Free traditional Taco during the shutdown.
- The Alex at the Graham Hotel – Free glass of Prosecco with any purchase during evenings and during weekend brunch.
- Gregory’s Coffee – Free coffee.
- The Carolina Kitchen – $8.99 shutdown carry-out specials on Monday through Friday from 5:00pm – 8:00pm for Rotisserie Chicken, Fried Whiting, Baked Fish, 2-piece Fried Chicken. All of these meals come with 2 sides. Caesar Salad is also $8.99.
- Catch 22 – 15% off for government employees.
- City Winery – $1 glasses of City Winery wine on tap. Must show government ID.
- BBQ Bus – 20% off entire menu for Federal Employees.
- Carmine’s – “Hard Times” Cocktail for $6, plus Happy Hour menu all day at the bar for the duration of the shutdown.
- Charlie Palmer Steakhouse – Blue Point Toasted Lager with fries for $12 during lunch at the bar, for the duration of the shutdown.
- DC Reynolds – $6 sandwich and non-alcoholic drink from 11:00am – 2:00pm Monday through Friday.
- Haagen Daz (Georgetown location) – 20% off purchase with Government ID
- Pizzeria Paradiso (Georgetown location) – Get 2 appetizers and any 12-inch pizza for $30 with government ID or business card
- Pennsylvania 6 – Extended Happy Hour from 3:00pm – 9:00pm during shutdown
- Ristorante Piccolo – 20% off bill during the shutdown
- Leon – 50% off until the shutdown ends.
- The Big Stick – 18% off all food and $4 draft, house wine, and rail drinks from open – 7:00pm.
- Gordon Biersch (Navy Yard location) – 20% off final bill for the duration of the shutdown.
- Nando’s Peri-Peri (Navy Yard location) – 20% off food (excluding alcohol) through the duration of the shutdown.
- Rasa – 25% off and all-day Happy Hour through the duration of the shutdown.
- Due South – Happy Hour pricing begins at 2:00pm
- District Winery – Half price tastings at the Tasting Bar & Half price bottles at the Bar in Restaurant Ana, weekdays only.
- Willie’s – All day Happy Hour for federal employees.
- Tara Thai – 10% off any order.
- Punch Bowl Arlington – 25% off on all food, beverages, and games.
- Mad Fox Brewing Company – 20% off food.
Please comment here or on my instagram page Bacon & Bellini on Instagram if you were able to benefit from any of these deals. If you know of additional restaurants not listed here, please notify me, and I will add them.
Stay strong, be encouraged, and enjoy all of life’s bites.